Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gym Report Card



So... my take on the gym so far... Love it!

I am especially enjoying the classes. Body Pump is my favorite. Body Pump is helping me achieve the goal I have of doing more strength training. It's low weight, high repetition weight training class to music. So fun! I've been getting up at 4:40 to make the 5:10 class, and it's so worth it.

I enjoyed the spin class too. My true love and best work out comes from running, but I know that I need to do some cross training. Spin helps me get a really good, high intensity workout. I think I'll try and do one spin class a week, and run for my other cardio workouts.

I've been running on the treadmill a couple of mornings a week, and I absolutely hate it. But it's good for a hill workout and I think it's good for my knees. I'm still running outside too, and use the treadmill for variety.

Body Flow is a combination of Pilates and yoga. I feel like it's a little luxury during the week. The first class I did, I didn't think it did much for me, but I felt long and lean and relaxed for the rest of the day. It's not a cardio class, so I have trouble giving it a whole hour, but I think I'll try and do it once a week, or once every other week.

I tried the Step class, I don't think I'll go back. And the Body Combat class just made me laugh all of that punching and kicking. I don't feel like I need to make it a part of my regular workout either. However I was surprisingly sore the next day.

I don't love the childcare. It's not terrible, but it just doesn't have the feel of a place that I want to leave my children in frequently. Preston's already picked up a cold from there. So that's why I try to go in the morning if the class is offered early enough. Doug has started running a few mornings a week, so I can't go every morning, we have to take turns. But sleep is good too.

My clothes aren't fitting any differently, so I don't think I look any different, but I feel different. I feel stronger. When I eat a treat, I enjoy it, because I feel like I can afford to eat it. Mentally I feel happier too. Exercise releases the same feel good hormones that you get when you take anti-depressants. I have to say, I'm a believer. Here's to hoping I can keep up it up!

3 comments:

Tisha said...

Good for you! Don't get out of your early morning routine, because once you do... it's so hard to start up again! For me sometimes I feel like it is as much of a workout to get myself and kids ready and take them with me, so I definitly prefer the early morning... but sleep is nice too!

Jenni said...

I'm amazed you get up so early. That is my problem. Someday I'll join a gym-I promise!

Audra said...

I wondered how the gym was working out for you. Your post has made me miss the classes available at the YMCA.

You are one dedicated woman to get up that early for the class! You inspire me.