Saturday, May 10, 2008

Enchantment



I recently finished Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. I don't know why, but I've read a lot of fantasy lately.

This book is a twist on the Sleeping Beauty story. It combines Russian folklore with a modern day twist. LOVED IT! The plot grabbed me... okay, let me be more specific, the love story grabbed me.

Orson Scott Card writes with a kind of raw honesty and I enjoyed the dynamics he created between the two main characters. They didn't fall in love at first and the journey that brought them together was filled with subtle comedy and danger and sweet romance.

I also enjoyed some of the supporting characters, such as the ever omniscient mother... how I would love to have the same kind of connection or sixth sense with my children as she had with her son. I read this book for book club and I enjoyed discussing with my group the characters and their strengths and their weaknesses.

I know that because the author is LDS, some people question the language and some subject matter he chooses to put in his books. Frankly, I think he just helps show the spectrum of people who are LDS. Despite how play group may feel sometimes, we are not a church full of cookie cutter people. The Lord made us all so different, he created a whole spectrum of members with likes and dislikes and sensitivities, and senses of humor. Orson Scott Card captures some of this in his writing.

At 400 pages it's not a sit down and read it one night book, but because it's longer it definitely has more depth than your standard fairy tale!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just bought this book! Sounds great! I have to finish The Host first.

Janelle said...

I completely enjoyed that book! It left me wondering what am I surrounded by, that I don't notice? Is there evil lurking that I don't see or feel?

Jenni said...

I just added it to my goodreads list. Thanks for the rec!