I am still in shock. I went to our neighborhood HOA meeting to inquire about the progress made towards securing curbside recycling for our neighborhood. I was told that the cost difference was negligible, so the only thing holding us back from signing up for the service is that some people don't want the large garbage can we'll be required to use in their garages.
Did I hear them right? I was unable to contain my shock and my disgust at this unacceptable answer. The few people in the neighborhood who care more about their garages than about the environment are going to deny over one thousand households the convenience of curb-side recycling?
The curbside recycling is all or nothing as far as cost and consequences for each household. We'll drop from two garbage picks ups a week down to one garbage pickup. However, the people don't have to take the recycle bin. They could opt out.
It seems so backwards to me that living in the suburb of such a large metropolitan area that we haven't already had curbside recycling for years. Those who recycle have to drive their recyclables to the back of our town on a weekend to deposit their goods. Most people who don't recycle would develop the habit if they didn't have to go to great effort to make it happen.
How did I get on the curbside recycling bandwagon? My cute cub scout came home from a cub scout meeting on recycling and has been asking me ever since to go to the HOA meetings and make it happen in our neighborhood. I had hoped it would be as simple as asking for the service. I was wrong.
Honestly, this is why I stopped going to the meetings. It's not good for my blood pressure or my mental sanity. I get so upset at the process it takes to make change happen. I get so tired of dealing with people who have such different priorities.
On something like recycling, we are so behind. So many other neighborhoods in K* and in the nation take part. In Switzerland you are fined if you don't recycle. The HOA president made the comment that the landfills aren't going to fill up for 50 years... I thought, as I rocked my baby while he's making that comment, nice, you'll leave the problem for my baby to worry about.
Whatever happened to doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do? So there may be some minor inconveniences associated with the change. Just make it work people... Get rid of some stuff in your garage. Decide not to participate. But don't prevent the whole neighborhood the opportunity to be eco-conscious!
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's been so long since I've checked blogs! I love seeing all your pictures. Your baby is sooo cute.
oh man, how disheartening. that gets me riled up, too!!
It was wonderful to get back on the blog. I couldn't log on due to lack of computer skills. Thanks Doug. Thanks Angela for the pictures and naratives. You are great!
This is a wonderful way of seeing the family and seeing all the great adventures.
I'm so lucky to be related!
Love,
Grandma B
i couldn't agree with you more angela!!! im shocked that all of houston isn't recycling like so many other cities and states, and we are one of the largest of them all!! we go every weekend to take our recycle stuff and it gets so annoying that just over in summerwood they have the convenience but we don't here bc people are lazy and think the way they do. i didn't know they were talking about it in the meetings.. i should actually go one of these days! i agree with you- if they don't want the bigger trashcan, then opt out for goodness sake!!
Post a Comment