Monday, October 20, 2008

Secret Gardens


I think the following from Sarah Ban Breachman, quoted by President Monson in conference has to be one of my all time favorite quotes. It answers the question, how do we find joy in daily living? Cultivating the right garden helps avoid the trap of keeping up with everyone else, comparing ourselves and our situations and it helps us be happy with what we have. It tells us how to be happy despite the obstacles that daily come our way. It's a beautiful way to look at out choice to be grateful.

"Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend...when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present-love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]-the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth."

3 comments:

Erin said...

I couldn't agree more! Thanks for posting that!

Janelle said...

very eloquently put,I agree, focusing on my family is what helps keep me tending the right gardens!

prRiggs said...

I just re-listened to that talk to today--He's amazing. I loved the garden part along with about 20 other parts.