Monday, February 21, 2011

GET vs HAVE

As indicated in the previous post, I've been caring for a sick boy for several days now. On Friday, immediately after I got things taken care of and thought maybe I could rest for a moment, my baby woke up. I thought, "Now I have to take care of him, it's never ending." The thought was almost immediately replaced by, "No, I get to take care of him." What a difference the phrase had on my tired outlook, as I saw it more of a blessing than an obligation.


I was reminded of a story my running partner and friend Whitney shared with me a couple of years ago. Lance Armstrong's ex-wife is a runner, and wrote an article in runners world about having the same ephiphony has she powered up a difficult hill. She first thought, I have to run up this hill, but then realized, no, I get to run up this hill, as she thought of friends confinded and unable to run. What a difference it had on her attitude.


What a difference the thought had in my ability to carry on without getting discouaged.

No comments: